Friday, February 12, 2010

My Sweetheart

A friend of mine posted something on FaceBook that made me decide what I should write about today. She said,

"It is Valentine's. A time of love. Take time and let all your FB friends know how you met your sweetheart."

Yes, Sunday is Valentine's Day. A day when we think about love. Some think more about who they love, and focus on doing romantic, or sweet things for the object of their love. Some think more about who they hope loves them, and spend their focus wondering what they are going to get. I think my friend has a good perspective. Focus on the moments where love has happened in your life. Treasure those memories and use them as a springboard to create new memories. After all, it's like someone else said:

Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away. (author unknown)

So, where did I meet my sweetheart? Some of my story will not be a surprise to many of you since you think you know me, but, I can guarantee it will be very surprising to many. I met him at a church service (no surprise). It was at my church. He was visiting with his Pastor. I was definitely not the only eligible girl in the room. And I was also definitely not the only girl in the room that felt like fainting! LOL! Wow! Who is that?! Here was this extremely good-looking young fellow, dressed in a classic '70's style, hair just right, with a smile that made you think the lights had been off before he smiled! And he was SINGLE! It was unbelievable! I was right up front on the piano bench and do you think he saw me? No, he did not! Some other 'thing' had caught his eye! I won't belabor this point because I don't want to embarrass him or her (the other 'thing'). But, suffice it to say, I was devastated. To make a long story short, however, he did finally come to his senses. And he did notice me. (Of course, I did my share of praying. . . LOL!)

What is going to be surprising to you is that I never dated my husband. Oh, I was with him all the time. But he was at my home (where my divorced, handicapped mother was all the time) or we were at church or with other young people. I'll be honest, it may have been different if we had lived in another "culture" than what we were surrounded by. But, we did have honest, sincere desires to be virtuous and to save that special part of our relationship for the sanctity of marriage. But . . . . we weren't engaged long! And, apparently, it worked. We will celebrate 31 years this May.

The journey has been . . . interesting, to say the least. But, I have to say, he's my best friend. He's been my refuge when I felt ravaged and abused by this world. He's my rock when everything else seems so shaky. And, as I've told him before, when he believes in me, I know I can accomplish anything I attempt.

I'm thankful for my Sweetheart!



No comments:

Post a Comment